Who Can Apply?
High School Sophomores!
Students from across Virginia are selected to participate through a competitive application process. In order to qualify for participation, students must:
● Be a Virginia resident (Note: Maryland residents may apply if a parent is a NASA Wallops Flight Facility civil servant or contractor employee.)
● Be a sophomore in high school
● Have a minimum GPA of 2.7
● Have access to the Internet (home, school, public library)
● Have an email address
● Have an interest in science, technology, engineering, or math
● Be a U.S. citizen to attend the summer academy at NASA Wallops Flight Facility
● Students who complete the online course will undergo a competitive selection process for an invitation to the summer academy
*Permanent residents may apply for the course; however, NASA security restrictions typically preclude non-citizen participation in the summer academies.
Once submitted, applicants receive an email confirmation, and the specified individuals receive email instructions to submit the letter of recommendation and a school counselor letter on the applicant’s behalf. Applicants should inform those individuals they will receive an email from email@example.com. All letters must be submitted via the online application system. Letters submitted in any other manner will not be accepted. It is the applicant’s responsibility to follow up to ensure the recommendation is submitted electronically by the deadline. The applicant will receive an email notification when this letter is submitted.