Where do I apply?
The application link for Master Teachers can be found here.
What is involved with being an online Master Teacher for the VESSS course?
Application opens: August 15, 2022
Application closes: October 16, 2023
Supporting references: October 18, 2023
Master Teacher Training: Mandatory Master Teacher training will be virtual on Saturday, October 29, 2022, from 8:30 AM to 4:00 PM .
Please note: The position you are applying for may require you to be fingerprinted and/or a complete background check conducted as a condition of employment.
Attending Summer Academy:
Week 1- June 24, 2023- June 30, 2023
Week 2- July 15, 2023- July 21, 2023
How much time is involved in being a Master Teacher each week?
The answer depends on whether you are a seasoned veteran or new to the program. There is a bit of a learning curve because you must learn to navigate around the course management software Moodle. You also will be learning the content along with the students.
There are seven modules of assignments for the online course and a final project due in April. The modules are due every two weeks, with three weeks between the final module and the due date of the final project. Some assignments are more detailed than others to assess. Plan on an outlay of ten hours every two weeks if this is your first time as a Master Teacher.
- You will be assigned approximately 30-35 students to your group. Your responsibilities will include evaluating and assessing student assignments and providing quality and timely feedback through the Moodle system.
- Grading matrices are given to provide guidelines on how to grade the assignments. Grades must be input within one week of the student’s assignment submission due date.
- You will be provided a more detailed list of duties at the mandatory training.
Examples of Duties:
- You will need to check your emails and if students have questions, respond within 24 hours to their questions.
- Grade work within 1 week of submissions
- Provide feedback on assignments for the student for improvement
- Go back through the modules to grade any late submissions.
- Communicate with students through Moodle if assignments are missing
Do I need to teach Earth Science to be a Master Teacher?
No. We encourage any secondary science or math teachers to apply. You must be familiar with a virtual online system. You will be provided a detailed answer/explanation key for the labs and rubrics for the essays.