ALL DATES ARE TENTATIVE AT THIS TIME
June 14-26: Averett University (Danville, VA)
June 14-26: Blue Ridge Community College (Weyers Cave, VA)
July 5-17: Averett University (Danville, VA)
July 12-24: Aviation Adventures (Stafford, VA)
July 19-31: Averett University (Danville, VA)
Students must have at least a 3.0 GPA, be U.S. citizens, Virginia residents and 16 years old by the start of the Academy. They must also be able to pass an FAA flight physical exam.
Ian Cawthray, Program Coordinator
Debbie Ross, Program Assistant
Virginia Space Grant Consortium
The complete set of application materials is due January 12, 2020 and must include:
2. Copy of high school transcript submitted through application system (unofficial)
3. Essay on application (see detailed information below)
4. Completed Recommendation Forms submitted electronically by your references (see detailed information below)
Please complete an essay using the following guidelines:
• 500-600 words
• Typed, 12 point standard font
• Submitted with your completed application
In your own words
1. Describe yourself to us – your academic strengths, interests, and personal characteristics.
2. What kind of extra-curricular activities or hobbies have you engaged in that are meaningful to you?
3. Tell us about any past aviation experiences and goals you have towards a career in aviation.
4. Explain why you wish to participate in a Pathways Flight Academy and how participating would impact your life.
*Note: This essay is a critical component in the selection process. It is your chance to present yourself to the selection panel. Answer all questions completely in your essay.
If you are accepted into the program, you will need to get an FAA Medical Certificate. Students are required to pass at least a third class medical exam. It is recommended you get the first class medical certificate, if you plan to pursue a career in aviation. The cost for both medical exams is the same. Your certificate will need to be renewed after five years.
Once you receive acceptance into the Pathways Flight Academies, you can begin the process of acquiring your medical certificate through the FAA.
FAA link regarding the medical process can be found here.
• You can search for an AME (aviation medical examiner) on this website.
• Once a student finds an examiner near them, they can book an appointment and fill out the appropriate paperwork here.