June 22 – June 28, 2019
July 13 – July 19, 2019
Students selected for the VESSS Summer Academy will be notified by mid May, 2019. Selections will be made based on VESSS Online Course performance. In order to be considered, for the Summer Academy, all assignments, journal entries, forums, and online quizzes must be completed (no zeros).
Students that are selected to attend the VESSS Summer Academy will be given a chance to rank their preferred week of attendance, and program staff will do their best to accommodate all student week preferences.
The Summer Academy is held at NASA Langley Research Center, Hampton, VA.
Students are housed at Christopher Newport University, Newport News, VA.
Scholars will arrive at Christopher Newport University in Newport News, Virginia on Saturday and depart on Friday afternoon directly from NASA Langley Research Center in Hampton, VA.
Please take time to review the information below and contact us if you have any further questions.
● CNU will NOT provide any linens. Students will need to bring sheets, towels, pillows, blankets, etc.
● Any medications you take (very important)
● Photo ID (school picture ID, Driver’s License, or passport)
● Laptop (not mandatory but extremely useful!) and charger
● Flash Drive (16GB suggested)
● Ethernet Cable (optional) – The wireless in the dorms are not reliable. Wireless routers are not permitted by CNU IT.
● Scientific/graphic calculator or app
● Phone Charger!!!!!
● Alarm clock or phone alarm. We do not do wake-up calls!
● Toiletries such as – Shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, toothbrush, soap, deodorant, etc.
● Camera (suggested – there are many photo opportunities!)
● Money for extra snacks, NASA gift shop (NASA shirts, jackets, hats, etc.) and Virginia Living Museum.
● Quarters for laundry – if you decide to wash your clothes during the week, the machines only take quarters.
● Hairdryer (if you need one)
● Travel Iron (optional, but we would like for your clothes to be nicely pressed)
● Earplugs if you are a light sleeper (optional)
● Clothing – pants, sweatpants, pajamas, socks, belt, etc.
● Extra shoes
● Light Jacket or sweater: Some rooms at LARC are very cold so come prepared.
● Spending Money: All meals, field trips, and lodging are provided for students and teachers. Spending money should be brought for items such as additional snacks and souvenirs.
A more detailed list will be provided closer to the academy dates.
Students should arrive at Christopher Newport University between 12:00 – 1:15 p.m. on the Saturday of the Academy to which they are assigned. Specific dorm information will be sent to the students prior to the Academy. A Parents Meeting will be held from 1:30 – 2:00 p.m.
NOTE: Students will NOT be able to access their vehicle during the week if they drive themselves. We prefer that parents/guardians drop off and pick up.
VESSS staff will be in the lobby to register students. Rooms are pre-assigned and may NOT be changed or traded with another student. Each room will house two same sex students. Teachers stay in rooms on the same floor as the students and serve as chaperones. Additional information concerning housing will be sent closer to the academy dates.
Students are required to be under the supervision of the VESSS staff, teachers or mentors at all times.
A VESSS representative will stay at the dorms throughout the duration of the program and is responsible for VESSS interaction with the University. Students and teachers report any problems to this person.
All meals are provided for students during the Summer Academy. You may choose to bring additional snacks. Please do not bring nut products.
Students are not allowed to wear shorts during the day and during planned evening activities. Students should dress appropriately, clean and pressed t-shirts (no slogans) with jeans or khakis.
Boys must wear belts and tuck in their shirts, no hats or caps are to be worn during the week. Button shirts or polo shirts with sleeves are acceptable and preferred. Only closed toe shoes or sneakers will be permitted.
Girls should not wear skirts during the week because of the facility tours, which may require some climbing and bending. Only closed toe shoes or sneakers are allowed.
For the Closing Ceremony the Scholars will wear their VESSS polo shirts and clean pressed khakis or skirts. Dress shoes are appropriate as the event is business casual.
Cellular phones are permitted but must be turned off at all times during the Academy. If a phone call is absolutely necessary, please do so only during breaks or lunch.
In the case of an emergency when a parent or guardian must reach you, they can call the VESSS Staff. Staff phone numbers will be provided in final email correspondence prior to the Academy.
You will be transported to and from CNU by bus. Observe all bus rules regarding conduct while aboard. While onsite at NASA LaRC you will be transported on occasion by van. Always wear your seatbelt.
You must have a valid Photo ID. Accepted ID’s: Driver’s license, Current School ID, Passport or DMV Photo ID. This must be with you at all times.
NASA LaRC issues a temporary identification badge at the beginning of the Academy. You must wear this badge at all times when at NASA LaRC. The badge should be attached to the VESSS lanyard and worn around the neck.
Report lost badges immediately to the VESSS Staff. Visitor badges are returned to VESSS Staff at the end of the Summer Academy at check-out.
The purpose of this policy is to state in advance the plan to insure proper discipline for Virginia Earth Science System Scholars (VESSS). This policy will be used for handling all disciplinary actions during the weeklong Summer Academy at NASA LaRC. *More details will be provided in the student behavior contract.
VSGC and NASA LaRC endorse a zero-tolerance policy toward misbehavior and/or disregarding stated rules or safety instructions. Therefore the following procedures will be followed in the event of a problem with student conduct.
1. Any blatant disregard of the rules of conduct, inappropriate or unsafe behavior will result in the student being called into the Program Manager’s office for a documented verbal warning and a phone call to parents. Inappropriate actions that merit immediate disciplinary action will result in student being sent home without a warning.
2. Warning and phone conversation will be documented and reviewed with appropriate VESSS staff, teacher and mentor.
3. No other warning will be given. Any other disruption or misbehavior will result in student being sent home.
You will be sent home for:
● Leaving the accompaniment of a chaperone (mentor, teacher, VSGC, or NASA LaRC personnel) at any time, for any reason, without permission.
● Unacceptable behavior (not following any staff or teacher’s directions, fighting, public displays of affection, profanity, failing to adhere to the dress code or rules of conduct, safety and technology use rules, etc.).
● Accessing your car.
● Leaving your room after curfew for any reason.
● Damage to any property (You are also held financially responsible).
● Stealing (from NASA, gift shops, dorms, or restaurants).
● Drinking alcohol or smoking.
(emails will be sent to students in the late spring with details)
At the conclusion of the Summer Academy, a closing event and reception will be held in the NASA Langley Reid Conference Center beginning at 10:00 a.m. In addition to the scholars, teachers, mentors, invited guests will include parents, legislators, NASA senior staff and other NASA VIPs.
Scholars are allowed to bring guests to the Closing Ceremony and will be contacted by staff prior to the Academy to obtain guests names for badging. All students and guests must be U.S. Citizens in order to obtain a visitor badge.
Upon completion of the Summer Academy, each participant will receive the following:
1.Certificate of completion for participating in the Virginia Earth System Science Scholars program.
2.Group photograph taken by NASA and/or VSGC photographer
3.VESSS program polo shirt(s)
Directions for parents/guardians to NASA Langley for Closing Ceremony
Directions to NASA Langley Research Center
Norfolk International Airport to NASA Langley Research Center
Newport News-Williamsburg International Airport to NASA Langley Research Center