Virginia Space Grant Consortium (VSGC) in conjunction with NASA Goddard Space Flight Center’s Wallops Flight Facility is pleased to announce a professional development opportunity for Community College STEM Faculty.
This two and a half day residential workshop focuses on the integration of STEM in the NASA workplace with the purpose of assisting faculty in educating students on the importance of teamwork, technical skills and problem solving.
Briefings and tours will highlight the suborbital and orbital missions and launches conducted at NASA Wallops and around the world. The importance of the collaborative work of engineers, scientists, technicians, safety and range control personnel will be demonstrated. The participants will also experience a hands-on case study on team work, trouble shooting and real-time decision making.
The workshop will be at the NASA Wallops Flight Facility where participants will be provided lodging, meals and workshop materials. Upon completion of a post workshop survey and submission of their deliverables, participants will receive a $800 stipend.
● Sharing NASA missions with the Community College Network
● Building relationships among NASA Wallops, VSGC, and Virginia’s Community Colleges
● Modeling the importance of communication and teamwork in the workplace
● Helping STEM faculty see how the skills they teach are actively applied in the workplace
● To foster enhanced community college retention in STEM academic tracks through graduation or transfer to a four-year institution.
● To strengthen VSGC’s relationships with and build NASA linkages with/for Virginia’s community colleges.
Supporting objectives are to nurture diversity; to pipeline STEM students to their next academic and workplace steps; and to foster STEM career awareness and workplace skills.
Ian Cawthray, Education Programs Coordinator, 757.766.5210, email@example.com
Spring 2019 program dates: March 11 – 13, 2019
Spring 2020 Application: Coming soon!
Must be a U.S. citizen
Must teach a STEM-related field in the Virginia Community College System
Educators develop lesson plans in their subject area based on the technologies, concepts, and skills learned in the workshop
Ian Cawthray, Program Coordinator
Virginia Space Grant Consortium