- Interested in teaching STEM disciplines?
- Preparing to teach in grades 4-8?
- Needing scholarship funding?
- Wanting to build your portfolio so you land an awesome teaching position upon graduation?
- A US Citizen?
Virginia Space Grant Consortium seeks preservice teacher applications for the COMPETITIVE preservice program to begin Summer 2014. This two-year program serves to increase preservice students' understanding of STEM and how to teach integrative STEM in the classroom. inSTEP preservice teachers must have demonstrated interest in teaching in grades 4-8, as well as science, technology, engineering, and/or mathematics. Program includes $2500 scholarship, FIRST Lego robotics training, conference travel and registration, travel support to two NASA Centers for innovative STEM training with all lodging provided, and MORE!!!
To be eligible, applicants must be rising junior (3rd) year in a preservice teacher program in Summer 2014 at an accredited Virginia college/university.
Schedule of events:
- Sunday: PM Arrival
- Monday: Introduction to Integrative STEM Education at NASA Langley Research Center
- Tuesday: Exploring the Role of Energy at NASA Langley Research Center
- Wednesday: Investigating Earth-Moon-Sun System at NASA Langley Research Center STEM Education and the Arts
- Thursday: Analyzing the Earth as a System at NASA Langley Research Center
- Friday: Analyzing NASA Missions related to Earth Systems at NASA Goddard’s Wallops Flight Facility
- Saturday and Sunday: First Robotics Training provided by James Madison University faculty at Christopher Newport University
- Monday: Engineering Design Challenge Workshop at Old Dominion University Peninsula Center
- Tuesday: Remotely Operated Vehicles in the Classroom at National Marine Sanctuary- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
- Wednesday: Integrative STEM Education for All Students at Old Dominion University Peninsula Center
- Thursday: Extending Integrative STEM in the After School Hours at Christopher Newport University
Only 30 slots available for this STATEWIDE program!
Application Deadline and supporting documents needed by May 19, 2014
(Students must be in their third year of college/university to be eligible)
inSTEP PreAcademy Tag up