Frequently Asked Questions
- Q:What is an inSTEP Master teacher?
A. instep master teacher will serve as a consultant to teach, support, and mentor pre-service participants for a two year program beginning Spring 2014 and closing 2016
- Q: Who is eligible?
- Experience in elementary and middle school integrative STEM education
- At least 5 years teaching experience teaching public schools at risk setting
- Experience in serving as a cooperative teacher or mentor to preservice teachers
- Experience in facilitating teacher professional development
- Q: Can I do this and work as a full-time teacher?
- Q: Do I have to fully attend the two week program in the summer?
- Q: Do master teacher’s interact/contact/keep in touch with all 30 students and all the teachers or would they be ‘assigned’ a certain number of teachers and students to be their mentees?
A: Master teachers will be assigned a subset of the 30 to be accountable for.
- Q: What are the roles and responsibilities of a mentor?
- Attend the two week program in the summer
- Serve as a consultant to teach, support, and mentor pre-service participants
- Meet with the student you are mentoring at least three times each semester
- Q: How long is the program?
A: This is a two year program beginning Spring 2014 and closing 2016
- Q: What is the anticipated timeline related to inSTEP Master teacher?
- April 2014: Master Teacher Planning Meeting (Weekend)
- July 6-17, 2014: inSTEP Two-week Academy
- Academic Year 2014-2015: Observe and model lesson/s integrate inSTEP activities for extended-day programs (Face to Face or virtual)
- April 2015: Master Teacher Planning Meeting (Weekend)
- June 2015: Two-Day Follow-up Institute
- Academic Year 2015-2016:
- Continuous online mentoring with Master Teacher
- Conference presentation at Virginia Association of Science Teachers (Fall), Virginia Children’s Engineering Council, or Virginia Council of Teachers of Mathematics (Spring)
- Q: What time commitment should I anticipate?
A: Time for total project:
- Spring/Summer 2014: 30%
- Fall 2014/Spring 2015: 40%
- Summer 2015: 15%
- Fall 2015/Spring 2016: 15%
- Q: Am I compensated for travel to and from training and school visits?
A: Yes. Your expenses will be covered for any travel for inSTEP student visits and meetings.
- Q: Will we have separate rooms or will we have roommates?
A:Each inSTEP student will stay in private single room, although you will share a bathroom with two others.
- Q: How do I apply?
A: Preserive teachers apply HERE. Master teachers apply HERE.